I try to prepare greens with every meaty dish. To accompany the hearty pizzas, I made this salad of baby kiwis (found at Trader Joe’s), avocados, arugula, ruby red grapefruit, and oranges.
The dressing I made with what Susanna had in her cupboard, a vinaigrette of:
- blue agave nectar, or you may use honey
- extra virgin olive oil
- white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- poppy seeds
- grapefruit/orange juice from cut segments
Baby kiwi are in season! They originate in Asia but are grown commercially in Oregon and New Zealand. They are green but turn reddish in color during the ripening process. You may eat them like a berry, skins and all, since the fuzzy exterior (as found in their cousin, the real kiwi) is missing. Baby kiwi are so nice in salads, especially in this one! Paired with citrus fruits in a sweet and tart vinaigrette, the baby kiwi shine in their own sweetness.
1. Cut segments from 1 ruby red grapefruit, 2 oranges, and 1 avocado. Save the citrus juice to add to the dressing.
2. Spread the arugula on top, coat with dressing, and top with baby kiwis!